Learner Motorbike Insurance

  • CBT Motorbike Insurance
  • Learner bike insurance
  • Bikes, scooters or mopeds on L plates
  • Compare 25+ insurance brokers

If you're a new rider looking for cheaper learner motorbike insurance, you could save money by comparing.

Discover multiple cheap learner bike insurance quotes from an independent and unbiased comparison provider.

Compare 25+ learner motorbike insurance quotes

Discover cheaper insurance while you learn to ride

All manufacturers, models & bike styles

Learner bikes, scooters & mopeds from Aprilia to Lexmoto to Yamaha.

One quick form - only takes 2 minutes

Enter your details just once for multiple bike quotes

You could find cheaper learner insurance today

Get cheap insurance for L-plate, CBT riding

Motorbike insurance for learners

CBT motorbike insurance while riding with L plates

Learner motorcyclists can find it difficult to find cheap (or merely even affordable) motorbike insurance while riding unsupervised with L-plates on UK roads.

At Biker Insure, you can compare over 25 of the best motorcycle insurance brokers providing quotes for learner bikers, helping to find cheap cover for riders who haven’t yet passed their test.

If you’re riding on a provisional license with L-plates after completing your CBT, compare learner rider motorcycle insurance quotes today and see how much you could save!

Motorbike learner insurance - get covered while you learn to ride

One of the biggest benefits of learning to ride a motorcycle is that (unlike in the car world), at the age of 17, you can get out there and learn to ride and insure a 125cc motorbike on UK roads all by yourself.

After securing your provisional bike license and completing the CBT, you can ride unaccompanied with L-plates for a period of up to two years. Following this two year period you’ll either need to pass your motorbike test, or complete the CBT again.

As with any other kind of motorbike insurance, it is of course a legal requirement to make sure that you are adequately insured before venturing out on public roads.

Learner motorcycle insurance is essentially the same as a standard motorcycle policy, but you will need to declare that you are a learner when taking out the cover.

What levels of insurance are available for learner motorbike riders?

As with all kinds of motorbike insurance, there are three levels of cover for learner motorbike insurance in the UK:

Third Party Only - Is the minimum level of cover required when learning to ride. TPO covers injuries or damage to other people, vehicles or property - but not you or your motorbike.

Third Party Fire & Theft - Adds protection if your motorbike is stolen or fire damaged.

Fully Comprehensive - Includes the above, but also covers damage to your motorbike or injuries to you. Typically, fully comprehensive policies will pay for a replacement motorbike if yours is written off in an accident.

Counter intuitively, TPO policies are not necessarily always the cheapest for learner riders, and fully comp policies aren't always going to be the most expensive. Because all learner motorbike insurance policy quotes are based on individual circumstances, it can pay to run a few quotes with different levels of cover to see how your quotes are affected.

This is easy and quick to do at Biker Insure. When you have all the information to hand, it can help make better decisions about which type of cover to choose as you learn to ride.

The comparison process is also exactly the same for learner riders as it is for those on full bike licenses. You'll just need to select “Provisional UK Motorcycle Licence” in the question asking what kind of license you hold.

How much does learner rider insurance cost?

Riding a motorbike for the first time and without supervision is undoubtedly a liberating, life affirming experience. It's also something that never really leaves you, and forms the foundation of freedom that bikers still experience throughout their riding careers.

However, this freedom can come at a high price in terms of insurance. A newly unleashed 17 year old, fresh from the CBT test centre, fuelled with enthusiasm and high on adrenaline is something that, unsurprisingly, leaves underwriters feeling a little nervous.

It's this heightened level of risk that means insurance for learner motorcyclists can seem unfairly expensive. Because you’ll be riding unsupervised on a provisional license and won’t have the experience of someone who has passed their test, your premiums are likely to be higher. In addition, learner riders are typically young and won’t have had the opportunity to build up much (if any) no claims bonus.

Offset against these considerations are the relatively low cost, power and speed capabilities of learner legal bikes.

Overall however, insuring your bike before having passed the motorbike test and in combination with your circumstances as a learner rider will mean that your insurance is likely to be relatively expensive.

The good news is that the more brokers you compare, the greater your chance of finding cheap learner motorbike insurance. At Biker Insure it's easy to compare learner bike insurance. With 25+ brokers on the panel, you only need to enter your information once and you could find the best learner motorbike insurance for your individual circumstances and new riding adventures.

Learner motorbike insurance FAQ

Can you get learner insurance on a motorbike?

Yes – insurance for learners is essentially the same as a standard motorcycle insurance policy. You’ll just need to make sure you declare the license type you are riding with when comparing policies, and when taking out the cover.

Can I insure a motorbike with a provisional license?

Yes. You’ll be able to compare insurance, and take out a policy with a provisional motorcycle license. As long as you have completed the CBT and have a learner legal A1 compliant machine, you can ride solo on the road with L plates for up to two years (until your CBT expires or you pass your test).

*The A2 motorcycle class (and full category A motorcycles) cannot be ridden unsupervised prior to taking the relevant test. Only the A1 and moped class can be ridden with L plates on a provisional license.

Can I insure my motorbike before I pass my test?

All motorbikes must be insured with a minimum of Third Party Only cover in order to be legally ridden on UK roads. You'll need to be adequately insured while riding with L plates and a valid CBT before you pass the motorcycle test.

You'll need to select "Provisional UK Motorcycle Licence" on the quote form

How long does a CBT last in the UK?

The CBT certificate lasts for two years in the UK.

You must pass your theory and motorcycle test within two years, or you'll need to take another CBT test in order to continue riding with L plates.

Temporary learner motorbike insurance

At Biker Insure, you can compare quotes for learner motorbike insurance for annual policies. However, there are some circumstances where you might need insurance for just a short time.

If you're occasionally borrowing a learner motorbike from a friend or family member for example, you'll still need to make sure you have adequate insurance. It could work out cheaper in some circumstances to take out a temporary motorcycle insurance plan, rather than having the commitment of an annual policy on a learner bike you don't own, and might not need to be insured on for very long.

If you're learning and only need insurance for a short time, visit our temporary learner motorcycle insurance page.

Motorcycle insurance for new riders

If you’ve just passed your test – whether it's for an A1, A2, or a full class A motorcycle licence, then just like for learner riders, finding the most affordable insurance as a newly qualified rider can be a daunting prospect.

When you’ve just spent a lot of money on training, clothing, and a shiny new bike - insurance is probably one of the last hurdles that you’re going to have to sort out before heading out on the road as a new rider.

New riders – compare for the best deals

As a new rider, you’ll be seen as more of a risk by insurers than bikers with more experience. Not only have you not yet had the chance to build up a decent no claims bonus, but your lack of time holding a motorcycle license and inexperience on the road will mean your insurance quotes are likely to be relatively more expensive.

This doesn’t mean that your new rider motorcycle insurance has to be unaffordable. Thanks to the comparison service at Biker Insure, you can quickly and easily search the market for 25+ brokers who offer cheap motorbike insurance for new riders.

Because you only need to enter your details once for multiple new rider quotes, you’ll not only save money but also time that could be better spent out on the road honing your new biking skills.

Whether you’re a young new rider, or just new to motorcycling a little later in life, make sure you get the best deal on your motorbike insurance by comparing quotes at Biker Insure today.

Do you have a full bike licence? Don't worry - Biker Insure has you covered. Get a motorbike insurance quote today, whatever bike license you are riding with.

Related articles: